11.8.11

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Personally, I am not much of a baker. Nevertheless, one thing that I will always willingly make is a cupcake. I love the small personal size and the fact that the flavor combinations are almost endless. Cupcakes are a great place to get creative in the kitchen. However, when I woke up this morning I knew I wanted to attempt a classic. Red Velvet Cupcakes. A few weeks ago I had the chance to travel to San Jose, California where I discovered Love's Cupcakes.  This small and quaint bakery specializes in Red Velvet cupcakes among other tasty morsels. Since eating one of their masterpieces, I've been determined to try and recreate the deliciousness.

I made the batter from this recipe. Mixing in the red is always my favorite part.

When the cupcakes came out, most of them were extremely crumbly. after I managed to save a few, I had this bowl of cupcake crumbs and I had decided to try and make something out of them. I grabbed a parfait glass and put in alternating layers of crumbs, raspberries, and cream cheese icing. 
It seems like a weird combination, but the raspberries perfectly grounded the sweetness from the icing and cake. 
There were a few cupcakes that did turn out as expected. They weren't nearly as good as the cupcakes at Love's Bakery, but for my first attempt, I'm pretty pleased.

1 comment:

Beezy said...

Ugghh Im dying for a cupcake right about now!lol, I saw you comment on a blog and I decided to check out your blog. I just started my very own and I would love for you to check it out and tell me what you think! a-bz.blogspot.com
<3 Beezy.